Monday, September 29, 2008

Suncoast Woodcrafters Guild Meeting, September 2008

Warm thanks to Brian Lucas, Tom Hourigan and the entire membership of the Suncoast Woodcrafters Guild for allowing me to teach a seminar entitled, “The Bare Bones of Furniture Refinishing / Applying a Spray Lacquer Finish” at the recent September meeting.

After setting up three work stations to demonstrate various furniture stripping and refinishing proceedures, I gave a brief talk about necessary supplies and the setting up of the work area.

Then came a brief demonstration of stripping the old finish off of a coffee table I'd brought along.

Next, I worked on another pre-stripped tabletop and prepared it for the new finish by sanding and staining it in front of the approximately 36 other woodcrafter members present that evening.

Somewhat short on time by this point, I quickly demonstrated applying a new finish using spray lacquer. At the end of the evening, I was presented with a most lovely framed certificate of appreciation, as shown here...


I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, the attentiveness of all attendees and the great questions I got asked! The two tables that I took to the class ultimately got completed and look lovely again.

To join or inquire into this great woodcrafters guild, go to http://www.suncoastwoodcrafters.com/

By the way, the 5-page handout notes that I made up for the seminar are posted in the guild's website... should you feel inclined to want to strip and refinish a piece of your own furniture.

Thanks for visiting,

Carolyn Clarke

No comments: